Aligning Talent: Charlotte Regional Collaborative for a Global Workforce
The second goal of the 2017-2022 Prosperity for Greater Charlotte Comprehensive Economic Development Strategy (CEDS) is to Develop, retain and attract talent with critical in demand competencies and education. The ongoing efforts to recruit, prepare and retain talent have a history of regional collaboration through several initiatives aimed at matching a skilled workforce with the appropriate industries. An example of a regional effort to align talent with the industry needs is the Charlotte Regional Collaborative for a Global Workforce.
- Consortium of community colleges in 31 counties (18 in NC; 13 in SC);
- Formerly Charlotte Regional Workforce Development Partnership, together with the Global Vision Leaders Group hosted by Central Piedmont Community College;
- Now partners with Charlotte Regional Business Alliance through the following strategies;
- CLT Careers Campaign: Manufacturing and apprenticeships;
- Regional Community College Data Project;
- CLT Region Tech Talent Study;
- Scale Up CLT: Entrepreneurs and small business.
- Aims to build a skill pipeline database and mapping tool to help colleges and economic development organizations work together effectively;
- The goal is to foster collaboration between employers, educational institutions and workforce development organizations to enhance regional competitiveness and overall economic health.
As one of the main growing industries in the Charlotte region, the manufacturing industry needs a workforce that is increasingly specialized and technical. Providing the training needed in community colleges or on-the-job training through apprenticeships can help close the gap in workers needed to answer demand. The Charlotte Regional Business Alliance, and its CLT Alliance Foundation, raise awareness around those in-demand careers and connect underserved populations to apprenticeships and other work-based learning opportunities as a path to employment and economic opportunity and stability.
The CEDD Interactive Data Portal has data on career pathways, occupation clusters and much more. Learn more about the regional and local workforce in our Data Explorer. If you are new to our data portal, the Instruction Videos & Tips will help you navigate the wealth of data available.
Find more strategic plans and tools that have set up the talent alignment work in the region: